Tuesday, December 14, 2010

VERBS ~ The action in the sentence


Pic by G.W. aka P.A. ~ A wintry view of the wild surf at Gunnamatta, Mornington Peninsula
~

ALL SENTENCES NEED/MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE VERB TO EXIST AND TO MAKE SENSE!

Using the photo above, there are:
simple verbs = one word = tumble
compound verbs = two or more words = is fascinated
*infinitives = base form of verbs that begin with "to" (may act as the subject or object of a sentence) = to surf



Using the photo above, the action may be
physical = tumble
mental = longs


Verbs are created in the present, past or future tense.
This is the time of the action.
All the verbs in the picture are in the present tense.
The action is happening NOW.
The past tense of these sentences would be:
1. The mother longed to surf.

(NOTICE THAT THE INFINITIVE IS THE OBJECT IN THE SENTENCE, SO IT DOES NOT CHANGE!
To surf was a dream for the mother.
Now the infinitive is the subject of the sentence.
)
2. The waves tumbled in to shore.
3. The child was fascinated by the waves.
4. Footprints etched the sand.
5. The sand was damp.
~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be the best *LOL*

Margaret Gosden said...

I like this one the best, thinking in terms of balance of text, image and the message. As a whole, I like the way the image dominates!

Anonymous said...

This has helped me so much! I have read it and taken it in I have also pasted it into a word document and I refer back to this! By the way after a year I have made another post! :)